Sunday, December 11, 2005

Test

This is a test blog. For a friend.

Just got back from one of my anime clubs' Christmas party. It was fun. Mainly just hanging out and chatting (or gaming for the guys.) There was a guy there who was from South Africa. It's kind of funny, because before he said that, I didn't notice a different accent at all, but a little while after that, I started to notice it. I wonder if I would've noticed it if I hadn't learned he was South African. I asked him if he spoke Afrikaans, because it's a South African language (they have 11 or so official languages) and he said he did. That makes me happy. ^^ Why, you may ask. Because Afrikaans is like a simplified version of Dutch, though I'm sure I wouldn't've recognized anything he might've said if I had asked him to. I was just excited that he knew it at all.

There are so few people who know Dutch or some off-shoot of it around here. At least people that I meet. One of my classmates in Bio II came from... an island (can't remember the name) that had been inhabited by the Dutch, so Dutch was still spoken there today. She knew a little bit of Dutch. It was cool. She asked me how I was in Dutch (Hoe gaat het?) I could tell what it was she asked me, but it sounded very different from what I was used to. I'm sure part of it was because it wasn't her native language, but I bet part of it was also because the accent has changed. Heck, the Netherlands is how big (smaller than Florida) and even within it's borders there are different accents.

I know so little Dutch, but it is still cool to know other people who know it and to be able to say a little bit of it around them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home