Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Remember me?

Hello! It's me again! Y'know, the person who authors this blog. Yeah, that's right, the one who's never ...authoring things. Well, I popped up to author another post. Okay, I stop using author now.

So, I applied to graduate school. Yay! And aaaaaah! I'm excited, but nervous and very afraid that I'm going to get rejected. Not that there are any real, solid reasons that I'm worrying - it's just an overall kind of thing. Well, I guess there are reasons why I am having worries. The minimum GPA they would like you to enter with is 3.5, which I don't have. I, instead, have a 3.07. I also don't have many extracurriculars, especially any that have to do with my intended major. Their GRE average scores are 610 for verbal, 640 for quantitative, and 5.1 for analytical (aka writing.) I did well on the verbal (highest individual score was 690) and on the quantitative (highest ind. score was 750), but my analytical score was low. I took the GRE twice and got a 4.5 and a 4.0 (goes in increments of .5 with 6.0 being the highest.) I was hoping that my GRE scores would cancel out my lower GPA, but I still got a low analytical. So I don't know.

Today was the deadline for applications to be sent in and I am supposed to hear back by mid-November. I don't want to have to wait that long! It lets me think too much.

I do still have to turn in my certificate application, which isn't due until November 1st, but I plan on sending that this Saturday - when I have time to go to the post office.

I guess I should mention what school/major I am applying for. I applied for American University in Washington, D.C. I want to major in their MA in International Affairs concentrating in U.S. Foreign Policy. I also want to supplement my master's degree with a graduate certificate in Cross-Cultural Communications. I feel like this will make me an outstanding candidate for becoming a Foreign Service Officer and that I will feel more confident when I apply again. (I applied earlier this summer and took the computerized test, but missed the cut off for the next round by a few points. Sadness.)

But yeah, I'm nervous and uber-afraid that they are going to reject me. And then I'll be sad and not sure of what I'll do.

On a different, sad note, my cat, Neko, died on Sunday (or Saturday.) My parents apparently found him on the side of the road in front of our house - apparently hit by a car. I didn't find out until Monday, after work, when my mom told me. Still not totally sunk in yet - I keep expecting him to come in from being outside and meow at me to feed him or pay attention to him or something. But he won't. ;.; I'm going to miss him.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger ddobro2 said...

Hi, I just came upon your blog searching for information on AU's graduate certificate programs. Good luck to you on your application - I was just rejected by a school, so I know how that sucks. What are the documents you have to submit to apply for a certificate program at AU?

4:36 AM  
Blogger Remadi said...

Rejection definitely sucks. I think the documents required differ between each school and sometimes between each program. I know for the Cross Cultural Communication certificate I needed to submit two letters of recommendation, college transcript, statement of interest, resume, and application. GRE scores weren't required, but you could submit those, too.

I didn't actually end up sending in all of my application stuff (like my letters of rec and my transcript,) because I was accepted to my master's program (!) before I had it all sent in and they contacted me and told me that I didn't have to also apply to the certificate program, I could just declare my intentions to my adviser.

Hope that helped. Good luck with your application!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Remadi said...

Also, if you go to the AU website, you should be able to find out everything you need to submit for the certificate program you're interested in.

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home